Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Heavy Workload

It's a busy week for school projects just like the next one will be.  I spent four hours in the painting studio this morning, partly to work on our last project and partly to make adjustments on old ones. These are the two that need the most work and I'm eager to make them look more how I envisioned. The current project won't be shown until after Christmas, since it's a gift.

Also, because I was an airhead and didn't save my first digital inking job of Page 3 of the comic properly, I had to ink it all over again. At least it looks better now.

Monday, November 26, 2012

Pages One and Two

I started celebrating too soon yesterday. I realized after updating my blog that I forgot to put a few speech bubbles on page one. That has been rectified and page two is also finished. It's my personal goal to have the entire thing done by Sunday night. We'll see what happens.

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Page One

I just now finished the first page of this silly thing after neglecting it and most every other school-related work since the beginning of Thanksgiving break. I worked on some Biology notes during the week and finished one of the eight artworks I need for my Mixed Media final, but other than that I was either busy shopping, wrapping gifts, or doing absolutely nothing.

Seeing this finished is rather satisfying, hopefully enough to fuel me through completing most of Page 2.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Greener On the Other Side

Why in the world did I choose to paint a brick wall? I'm still asking myself that. That's all the bricks I plan to add, though. If I push them any further I'm afraid of what will happen. The final critique is tomorrow, however, so we'll see what the professor thinks.

Obnoxious bricks aside, it's not bad.

Sunday, November 11, 2012


The bricks are improving, and those that still have issues be covered with vines or some other manner of convenient plant life. I have no intention of painting any more bricks, either. I've also made some progress with the comic, having inked page 2 and started on page 3, which will be digitally inked and colored. Right now page 1 is sitting nearby partially colored in with marker.

Friday, November 9, 2012

Mistakes into Masterpieces?

Today I sat down with the intent of finishing the trees on the other side of the wall and starting the brick pattern on the wall itself. The former went well, the latter was a horrible idea. Thus do I find myself working on re-painting the underlying colors on the first half of the wall and attempting to cover the other half with plants. That should work out okay, as long as the ground is still somewhat visible. I also used a ruler and scratched in the lines where some bricks would lay and that's working much better.

Also, for my New Media class I'm working on a short super heroine comic. It's an independent project that I chose myself, and will start off with traditional media, slowly working up to being fully digital. The first page will be colored with markers and colored pencils, the second will be traditional until I color it digitally, etc.

The word bubbles aren't there yet, but basically a young woman discovers a great gift during a time of trauma (her [step?] father abusing her mother in the next room).

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

It's Not Really Weekly Anymore, Is It?

But that's okay. Life has swamped me as it often does this time of year, even without my serious participation in National Novel Writer's Month. Maybe over Thanksgiving break something not related to school will be finished, but I'm not holding my breath for that yet. Next year, however, will bring about Attempt Three at completing a work of art each week, and with next Spring being when I graduate that's actually looking more promising. Homework won't be a factor, at any rate.

The most recent painting assignment marks the beginning of my professor more or less taking his hands off the wheel as far as directing the assignments goes. This one is to be done with three different methods of painting, but the subject matter is all up to us. I admit that actually thinking of a subject was what took me the longest so far.

In the end it's going to be a sort of receding wall with trees on both sides. Bricks will be painted in as a visual cue, and there will be far more plant life, but the stripes of color will remain. The original idea was to do a sort of drip-painting in those areas, but air-headed genius that I am I forgot those supplies. So stripes it is. Also the perspective threw me for a loop while I was taking the picture.

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Week Thirty Will Be Fixed Later

Lo and behold the fruit of my labors. I was actually very frustrated with this towards the end and intend to still alter it between now and finals week, but here it is for now. I also finished the digital drawing of a characters comparison. I decided not to color it since it was taking forever already.