So I realize it's been over a month since I posted anything here. Sorry! Though all of the comic links have been continually been posted on Facebook and other social media. We're now in chapter three and headed fast to chapter four!
And finally here's some character design experiments that I did. They are completely unrelated to the webcomic and were a bit of a joint effort with a friend. She told me about what she envisioned and I tried to draw it. Good practice.
This guy was tough and it took a while to draw him just how she wanted, but the challenge was fun.
This one was comparably easier as she actually had an exact photo reference, but the challenge was giving her short hair and a fabulous, sassy face without her looking like Ursula from The Little Mermaid. The pencil sketch at the bottom is the final.
Hopefully there will be less time between this and my next blog update.
This week, however, I am pleased to announce that I finally drew and colored something that is in no way related to the webcomic. It was 100% for fun. It's fan art of course, and Role-play related as it often is. If you want an explanation bad enough you can ask but I'll go ahead and say that the characters are from Attack on Titan and Blue Exorcist. Also including the progress pictures, because it's been a while since that happened, too.
I am doing a poor job of updating this blog every week with a comic page, so my apologies there. I think it's partly that since I post links to it on all my other social networking websites most people see it anyway. Also I don't always have an unrelated drawing to show. That's something else I'd like to work on.
The unrelated sketch this time was a birthday present for a friend. Her birthday is not technically until the 3rd, but she received her package and the drawing yesterday so I can post it without ruining any surprises. It's an RP-related thing with characters from Blue Exorcist and Attack on Titan.
Here are pages One an Two from Chapter Two of Rose With Thorns, which started on March 20th, and of course a link to my portfolio blog, which has both pages without text.
Today marks the completion of the first chapter of Rose With Thorns! I am stoked to have completed one chapter, only ten pages though it was. The last page is up and can be found here. There's no textless version of the page this time, since there's no speech bubbles on it anyway.
Also Thatch's color guide is done! I've concluded that these color sheets have little to do with their face design. Neither he nor Rose look right on theirs. But the outfit and the colors are there for me to use, and that's really all I need.
Over the past week or so I've been working on Chapter 2 of Rose With Thorns. To be honest I've been dreading it because there will be at least three complex backgrounds for just this chapter, at least one of which I am unlikely to use again. It's tempting to have a majority of the story take place somewhere easy to draw but I'd rather not put a cap on creativity.
So here's my first real obnoxious setting, a playground. A photo of the playground outside my apartment was used as a guide.
I also started something that I've been meaning to; a color/outfit chart for Thatch. He'll make his debut in Chapter 3 but I'd like to be ready for that. Hopefully he'll be finished on Friday and uploaded with the last page of Chapter 2.